Replacing setup.exe and cygcheck with dpkg (Was: Re: cygcheck typo in both manpage and --help)

Christopher Faylor schreef:
setup.exe and cygcheck are very nice but was wondering if the idea of using
yum and rpm was ever tossed around?

Yes, it has been discussed many times. There are big barriers to getting these working, mainly due to problems installing already-running programs.

cgf

Hey Christopher,

I've succesfully ported dpkg. In a few weeks time, I'll start working on my Debian Cygwin project again, I'm currently busy with other things - but maybe you could take a look at my dpkg changes and see if you can make a Cygwin-dpkg which is compatible with cygcheck and setup.exe. Dpkg is very easy to use, as is apt-get which I was busy porting before I stopped temporarily.
(Since 1.7 already fixes the problem of installing running programs, there are only two important changes: multiple slashes at the beginning of a path are mapped to one, and when installing a new binary dpkg uses vfork() instead of fork() for the one corner case where dpkg re-installs itself.)
If you want them, I'll upload the patches to the subversion repository of the project as soon as I can. They are currently sleeping on my disk until the project gets far enough to release some binaries and sources.

Sjors