Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: experimental package: gcc4-4.3.2-2

Dave Korn wrote:
> Tim Prince wrote:
>> This doesn't seem to be a magically fully working gfortran, such as we
>> had fleetingly with the 20090227 snapshot of 4.4.  I'd agree it's likely
>> an "upstream" problem, even if it shows up only on cygwin.
>
>   Hi Tim, can you give me a bit of context here?  I don't know what sort of
> problems you're seeing or what "fully" working means here.  And of course it's
> not going to reflect anything that happened after 4.3 branched.

Dave,
I may not have known what to look for, Most 4.3 and 4.4 snapshot cygwin
builds of gfortran, including all those I have tried from gfortran wiki or
cygwin setup, have acted as if there is a memory or stack leak which kills
the run after 40 or so Fortran subroutine calls and returns.  I haven't
actually known how to check if this is a leak.  This was never a problem
until the 4.3 era, and there have been a very few snapshots, including the
4.4 20090227, which could run my tests perfectly at
http://sites.google.com/site/tprincesite/levine-callahan-dongarra-vectors

The problem does not show up in the version where Fortran calls a series
of C++ functions (extern "C"), but it does show up when Fortran calls
Fortran or C.  Each of those versions has a function which is a direct
translation of another, in fact the C and C++ versions have a number of
identical functions (except for the extern "C"), as do the Fortran
versions, one being as much f95 as possible, and the other using f77 where
it is faster.

I'm not referring here to the flaky behavior I see when running gcc
testsuite on cygwin.  As no one but me ever posts cygwin tests to
gcc-testresults, I can't judge how my results compare to others.  For
months, the testsuite has repeated the gcc, gfortran, g++, and libstdc++
tests several times, but the objc testsuite runs just once, as it used to
do.  Most of those repeated test runs die or hang short of completion.  I
have tried several installations of cygwin, all behave this way.
I have been using cygwin 1.7 for testsuite since it came out, as it seemed
to work better than 1.5, but it always acts this way.
Lately, the testresults for 4.4 on cygwin have improved greatly, I suppose
from the work of some of the cygwin people.
cygwin g77 used to be capable of running real applications of several
thousand source lines.
gfortran linux is capable of running applications of millions of source lines.