Re: under cygwin, zsh cannot run when built against ncurses9-5.7-13

Christopher Faylor wrote:
>>  I don't know what it's all about yet, but as far as I can tell, they aren't
>> suitable for use outside the actual build system itself and should probably
>> not need to be installed.  It would probably be better if they were replaced
>> by symlinks to libcygwin.a, as is done for libg.a.
>
> Sheesh.  Do you honestly think I would have gone to the effort of
> creating these libraries when a simple symlink would suffice?  Do you
> really think I don't know about symlinks?

  Uh, why do you think I have any idea who wrote what code or how much
historical cruft there might or might not be in the makefile?  When I'm
looking at stuff with a lot of legacy behind it I try not to make assumptions
about what is deliberate and what accidental except in the most blindingly
obvious cases.  I assume it's deliberate that the Makefile builds libc and
libm and uses them in linking the DLL.  I don't assume it's necessarily
deliberate that they get installed.  I have seen examples in the past of auto*
based makefiles that installed more than they should have done solely by
accident of history and evolution.

  So what are libc.a and libm.a for?

    cheers,
      DaveK