Re: [1.7] makeinfo : too many open files

On Mar 26 12:36, Marco Atzeri wrote:

> Dear All,
> building the documentation for octave with makeinfo
> I hit on cygwin-1.7 a similar issue than
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2009-02/msg00564.html
>
> On cygwin-1.5 the same exact command on the same files
> completes successfully.
>
> Full strace is uploaded on
> http://matzeri.altervista.org/strace/
>
> 1.6M   makeinfo15_strace
> 3.1M   makeinfo17_strace
> 270K   makeinfo_strace.tar.xz (both compressed)
>

> $makeinfo -I.. octave-a4.texi
>
> octave-a4.texi:621: @include `package.texi': No such file or directory.
> octave-a4.texi:632: @include `dynamic.texi': No such file or directory.
>

> $ makeinfo -P.. octave-a4.texi
> octave-a4.texi:621: @include `package.texi': Too many open files.
> octave-a4.texi:632: @include `dynamic.texi': Too many open files

The 1.7 strace shows a weird error message:

  seterrno_from_win_error: /ext/build/netrel/src/cygwin-1.7.0-44/winsup/cygwin/cygheap.cc:140 windows error 487

error 487 == "Attempt to access invalid address."

It happens when trying to raise the size of the cygheap (used for
internal datastructures like file descriptor data) which apparently
occurs as a result of using so many files.  The only reason I can think
of why this might occur is a collision with a DLL loaded at an address
not far from the end of Cygwin's cygheap, so that trying to VirtualAlloc
more memory, to make the cygheap bigger, fails.  The default size of the
cygheap in 1.7.0-44 is ~900K and ends at 0x61300000.

Maybe rebasing the DLLs makeinfo is linked against (cygiconv-2.dll,
cygintl-8.dll) helps?

If not, it might be helpful if you could send a link to a tar archive
with all necessary input texi files to run makeinfo as above.

Corinna

Red Hat