Re: File not found with scp

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 1:32 PM, Larry Hall (Cygwin) <...> wrote:
> Ryan Stewart wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 10:52 AM, Thorsten Kampe <...> wrote:
>>> * Ryan Stewart (Wed, 25 Mar 2009 10:19:45 -0500)
>>>
>>> Why do you think it is?
>>
>> Sorry, I should have given more detail. When I scp from computer A to
>> B, the copy succeeds, but it places it in c:\Program
>> Files\Git\home\ryan.

>>> Check /etc/profile for details on how HOME is set...
>>>
>> I've seen that explanation. HOME is set to /home/ryan on both boxes,
>> but this seems to be deeper than just how HOME is set, because a
>> /home/ryan exists in both c:\Program Files\Git (wrong place) and
>> c:\cygwin (right place). Why would cygwin put /home in a different
>> place when I use scp?
>
> http://cygwin.com/problems.html
>
> See <http://cygwin.com/problems.html>. ?It's best to include cygcheck output
> from both machine in your report.
>
> My WAG is that your 'git' is a <http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#3PP> and you're
> getting at least 'scp' from there on the "problem" machine. ?But your full
> problem report should help determine that. ?You can also try things like
> "which scp" to see if it points a finger.

"which scp" on both machines points to /usr/bin/scp. A full hd search
for scp.* on both machines reveals that there are two of them:
c:\cygwin\bin\scp.exe and c:\Program Files\Git\bin\scp.exe. However:
1) Git's scp.exe isn't on the path,
2) Removing git's scp.exe doesn't make a difference, and
3) Completely uninstalling git from computer A doesn't make a
difference, either: scp from A to B still puts /home in c:\Program
Files\Git.

However (again), if I uninstall git from computer B, then scp from A
to B works fine. I've verified this multiple times. With git (which is
actually msysgit) installed on computer B, scp puts files in the Git
directory. When I uninstall git, scp immediately puts files in the
right place. Install git again, and the location switches back.

I've attached three cygcheck files: one for computer A, one for
computer B with git installed, and one for computer B with git
uninstalled.