Re: Read only flag in C:\cygwin\tmp

* wishi (Sat, 28 Mar 2009 14:34:24 +0100)
> Thorsten Kampe schrieb:
> > * wishi (Sat, 28 Mar 2009 12:44:57 +0100)
> >> After the initial setup on a Windows XP SP III Cygwin's setup.exe
> >> creates a Read-Only folder. That normally isn't that big of a
> >> problem, but screen needs \tmp.
> >>
> >> I tried to change the attributes without any success.
> >>
> >> What do you need to do to change that?
> >
> > Nothing. Windows doesn't have the concept of "read-only" folders.
> > Neither has Cygwin.
> >
> If I on my Windows XP SP III box right click on a folder, "Read-Only"
> is listed in the folder's properties.

You're misinterpreting what you see there. The box means "not defined"
(or more precisely: "I don't know"). In the description of the box it
says "only applies to file in folders". If you look at your other
directories you will see that all have the same "non property".

If you understand German read [1]. Knowledgebase article 326549[2]
explains the details.

> Maybe I should have mentioned that I use NTFS.
> [...]
>
> My initial problem is that cygwin hangs if I start the GNU screen
> untility.

Cygwin is an environment and a DLL and cannot "hang". What exactly
hangs? Screen? Or the shell you want to start in it? How do you notice
that it "hangs"?

> $ ls /tmp/uscreens/
> S-Administrator
>
> So my thought was that this socket isn't initialized due permission
> problems.
> I guess the Windows file attributes aren't the cause of this problem.
> I have a fresh install and no .screenrc, that might interfere with the
> starting process...

There was a "Directory '/tmp/uscreens' must have mode 777." bug with
screen on FAT. That has been fixed long ago. I suggest you start with
http://cygwin.com/problems.html and especially focus on
http://cygwin.com/faq/faq.using.html#faq.using.bloda .

Thorsten
[1] <http://www.faq-o-matic.net/2005/05/16/wie-kann-ich-den-
schreibschutz-auf-einem-dateiordner-entfernen/>
[2] http://support.microsoft.com/?id=326549