Re: sed converts 8-bit input text to 16-bit (Unicode-16?) characters - how to suppress that?

Michael Moser wrote:

> [...]

  BTW please trim the redundant headers... it's really considerate not to post
people's email addresses in the body of your post because if you do so they
get harvested by spammers.

>> I tried with input files
>> containing german umlauts and sed does not convert to wide
>> char and it does not produce a BOM marker at the start of the file.
>
> Maybe that conversion comes from me redirecting the output to a file
> using
> 'sed {options} > filename.ext'  ?!? I'll have to verify that!

  What terminal/console are you using?  Unicode RXVT by any chance?  How does
it behave in other consoles?

  You can edit a file in-place by using the -i option to sed.

    cheers,
      DaveK