Reverting from 1.7.0-45 [was Re: [1.7]: For the love of god, don't update!]

Charles Wilson wrote:
> Dave Korn wrote:
>
>>   Forgot to say... can I see your "cygcheck -cd"?  I would have said "just m4
>> and cygwin", but maybe it's related to something else.
>
> Attached.  FWIW, I had no problems building other things, like
> yesterday's p7zip packages or today's alternatives packages.

  Argh.  As one door opens, another slams viciously shut in my face.  For some
reason autoconf has gone over to the dark side:

configure:1616: checking for i686-pc-cygwin-gcc
configure:1642: result: cl
configure:1926: checking for C compiler version
configure:1929: cl --version </dev/null >&5
Microsoft (R) 32-bit C/C++ Optimizing Compiler Version 12.00.8168 for 80x86
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1984-1998. All rights reserved.

  LOLWUT?  It turns out something has gone horribly wrong in the alternatives
department now:

$ gcc
bash: gcc: command not found

$ gcc.exe
bash: gcc.exe: command not found

$ file /bin/gcc.exe
/bin/gcc.exe: broken symbolic link to `/etc/alternatives/gcc'

$ ls /etc/alternatives/gcc -la
lrwxrwxrwx 1 DKAdmin None 3 Apr  6 04:29 /etc/alternatives/gcc -> ??/

$ /usr/sbin/alternatives.exe --help

$ echo $?
128

$

  And, right; alternatives.exe needs the ctype_ptr import.  And I'll bet that
p7zip doesn't use any ctype functions.  It looks like if you want to revert
back across the change, you need to revert any/all of these as well:

cygwin
m4
alternatives
diffstat
vim
xxd

and that may not be a complete list.  Rolling back alternatives appeared to
fix everything but I went and re-ran the --config option anyway.

  I wonder if m4 suddenly changed its behaviour as a result of now being
locale sensitive, which had knock-on effects on autoconf and bison, which
causes the trouble by doing something unexpected when generating the ld or ar
parsers..  I don't have any of LANG or LC_* set in my environment so I thought
I ought to just have the standard C locale, but I don't understand it well.

    cheers,
      DaveK