Re: [Attention: opengl^H^H^H^H^H w32api,libGLdevel maintainer] Incorrect GL_DOT3_RGB_EXT in glext.h

Bryan Thrall wrote:

Hi Brian,

>The opengl 1.1.0-10 package has incorrect values for GL_DOT3_RGB_EXT and
> GL_DOT3_RGBA_EXT:
>
> #define GL_DOT3_RGB_EXT                   0x86AE
> #define GL_DOT3_RGBA_EXT                  0x86AF
>
> According to
> http://www.opengl.org/registry/specs/EXT/texture_env_dot3.txt, they
> should be:
>
> GL_DOT3_RGB_EXT                                    0x8740
> GL_DOT3_RGBA_EXT                                   0x8741>
>
> I thought I'd report this here, since it doesn't seem like the canonical
> source (according to /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/opengl-1.1.0-10.README,
> http://www.xmission.com/~nate/glut.html) of the package hasn't been
> updated since 2001; so I guess Andre would be the person to handle this?

Well, no, I'm not going to handle this, because glext.h is _not_ part
of my OpenGL package. As a "Setup Package Search" reveals:

usr/include/GL/glext.h is part of libGL-devel-7.2-2
usr/include/w32api/GL/glext.h is part of w32api/w32api-3.13-1, w32api/w32api-3.12-1, w32api/w32api-3.11-1

So, it will be up to the maintainers of w32api and/or libGL-devel.

I understand your confusion.
For the record, here's a few facts about OpenGL and Cygwin:

1- There is no (and there never was any) Win32 implementation of OpenGL for Cygwin.
M$'s implementation, supplemented by the graphic drivers for hardware accceleration, is used.

2- The Cygwin packages provide only headers and import libraries to this implementation.
First, they were provided by the OpenGL package. Then, the w32api package started
to provide them too, so I droped them from the OpenGL package.

3- Cygwin's X server provides a software only (no hardware acceleration) implementation
of OpenGL.

4- The headers and import libraries to this implementation are provided by the
libGL-devel package.

5- The OpenGL package now only provides OpenGL-related librairies: GLUT and GLUI (native Win32
implementation).

6- The OpenGL package has reached the end of its life. As you stated, GLUT is unmaintained
since 2001, and GLUI is fading away too.

7- Before 2010 (I hope!), the OpenGL package will be obsoleted and replaced by 3 new packages:

FreeGLUT-native: A Cygwin 1.7, gcc 4 replacement for GLUT32.dll.
FreeGLUT-native-devel: Corresponding headers and import libraries.
GLUI-native: A Cygwin 1.7, gcc 4 replacement for the static libGLUI.a

8- For this to happen, I need:
8a- A stable gcc 4
8b- A Cygwin 1.7, gcc 4, w32api package
8c- Continue working with the FreeGLUT maintainers to get FreeGLUT native build for Cygwin.

I hope that the above will clarify things for you (and others).

- André Bleau, Cygwin's volunteer OpenGL package maintainer.

Please direct any question or comment about the OpenGL package to cygwin at cygwin dot com
Many other persons will be able to help you if you do.