Re: emacs hanging on Cygwin

On 4/13/2009 3:58 AM, Brandon Olivares wrote:

CYGWIN is already set to tty, among other values. But that report
doesn't accurately describe the problem I'm having.

The problem is that the emacs window becomes unresponsive seemingly at
random, and I have to either kill the process emacs.exe from Windows
task manager, or open another cygwin terminal and kill the process.

When it becomes unresponsive, I cannot move the cursor, execute any
commands, nor exit emacs.

The first time it happened, I was just trying to switch between windows
within emacs with C-x o. The next time, I was trying to open another
file. I can't remember what prompted all of the other times. Also
sometimes it hangs when trying to exit.

I'm running Windows Vista, by the way. I forgot to mention that in my
original email.

The only other thing I know of that sometimes solves emacs/cygwin problems is reinstalling libncurses7. You'll find a lot of messages in the mailing list archives about that. If that doesn't do it, you should probably follow the instructions in the "Problem reports" link below, especially the part about attaching cygcheck output. Maybe one of the cygwin experts will spot something.

Ken