Re: 1.7: Problem with Vista64b ACLs and sockets

On Apr 17 10:46, Charles Wilson wrote:
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>
> > Yes, sure, but in that case, why not use the native ping?  AFAIK the
> > ICMP API doesn't provide all the data you need to emulate the usual
> > UNIX ping output anyway.
>
> AFAIK, the native (e.g. the shipped-with-windows) ping doesn't use the
> ICMP dll either. That's why I installed FPing. However, FPing (or even
> shipped-with-windows ping) are native, not cygwin progs. I don't like
> using native progs at all, ever, if I can help it. They always lead to
> surprises: pty issues in terminals, issues with pathnames, difficulties
> in complex commands (pipes |), etc.
>
> But it was just an idle thought.

No, it's not idle, it's a valid argument.  The problem is, ping isn't
useful as is for non-Admin users, and the package is orphaned.  That's
why I think we should drop it from the distro.  If somebody takes over
maintainance and comes up with a patch which makes ping work for
non-Admin users again, there's nothing to say against a Cygwin ping.  In
the current state it just leads to confusion, though.

Corinna

Red Hat