Re: 1.7: Problem with Vista64b ACLs and sockets

Corinna Vinschen wrote:
On Apr 17 10:46, Charles Wilson wrote:
Corinna Vinschen wrote:

Yes, sure, but in that case, why not use the native ping? AFAIK the
ICMP API doesn't provide all the data you need to emulate the usual
UNIX ping output anyway.
AFAIK, the native (e.g. the shipped-with-windows) ping doesn't use the
ICMP dll either. That's why I installed FPing. However, FPing (or even
shipped-with-windows ping) are native, not cygwin progs. I don't like
using native progs at all, ever, if I can help it. They always lead to
surprises: pty issues in terminals, issues with pathnames, difficulties
in complex commands (pipes |), etc.

But it was just an idle thought.

No, it's not idle, it's a valid argument. The problem is, ping isn't useful as is for non-Admin users, and the package is orphaned. That's why I think we should drop it from the distro. If somebody takes over maintainance and comes up with a patch which makes ping work for non-Admin users again, there's nothing to say against a Cygwin ping. In the current state it just leads to confusion, though.

Corinna
First, Corrina, thanks for the info. Because of my other ACL problems I was totally confused
as to what was going on. I have, I think fixed these with a combination of tools.

Second, my user ID is part of the Administrator group, but you must specifically 'run as' Cygwin
to gain true Administrator privilege even from an Administrators group ID in order for /bin/ping
to work in my tests. I'm sure you knew this Corinna, but others may not have.

Third, I've changed the ping in my profile to use MS ping, and it works fine. The parameters are
specified differently, but the exit codes work fine. I tried 'fping', but its too noisy about having
to use the ICMP.dll, and the -i option (use the ICMP.dll as a first choice rather than raw sockets)
seems not to work.

Now, I understand why 'ping' was missing for so long from Cygwin, and why 'traceroute' has
never been a part of it. (Yes, I know about MS 'tracert'.)

Thank you, again, Corinna.