Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] [1.7] Updated: bash-completion-1.0-1

Taras Tielkes wrote:
> Eric Blake writes:
>
>> A new release of bash-completion, 1.0-1, is now available for those
>> testing cygwin 1.7, leaving 20060301-2 as the current version for cygwin 1.5.
>
> Using cygwin 1.5 and bash, I've been trying to configure Shift-Tab to cycle
> backwards through the list of completion suggestions. I've not succeeded, as it
> appears that both Tab as well as Shift-Tab are received as the same key (tested
> with "od -c").
>
> I think the issue I'm looking at is this:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/cygwin@cygwin.com/msg88598.html
>
> Is there any chance that the new release of bash-completion will help here?

No.  As was said on that thread, the problem is that the terminal
emulator (cmd.exe) can't be configured to send something different for
Shift-Tab than it sends for Tab.  Without that, there's no way it
could work.  bash-completion is just a package that provides a bunch
of different completers for a bunch of different commands, it has
nothing to do with the inner workings of how completion in bash works.
 Even if it did, what you need isn't changes to bash, it's changes to
what cmd.exe does.

~Matt