Re: cron does not do anything

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ting Zhou" <>
Sent: Tuesday, April 21, 2009 1:33 PM

Thanks for the quick response. The crontab line is literally like:

28 19 * * * /usr/bin/touch /tmp/abcd

Pierre, attached is the fgrep result of all the logs in /var/log. "cron.log" was created but is
empty all along.

Let me know if I can supply further diagnostic information.

******************
Right, cron does nothing. But ...
The job is supposed to run at 19:28 every day
You started cron at 19:26:30, it's not clear if the crontab existed then.
You edited the crontab at 19:27:19
When 19:28 came, cron reloaded the crontab but did not run anything.
I don't know if it's by design or not, you are playing it close.
Have you tried using * * * * * in the crontab while you are debugging this?

Also try running a command like "env" that produces an output.
It should appear in ~/cron.log or in /tmp/cronXXXX if there is a problem.

Finally your group is mkgroup-l-d. This suggests that /etc/group
may not be up to date.

Pierre