Re: ps -ef difference linux/cygwin (arguments)

Let's try this one again, and maybe we can be civil instead of condescending and insulting?

There are certain expectations of UNIX and UNIX-alike environments, particularly core commands. When I move from Solaris to AIX to HP-UX to Linux to Cygwin, I expect commands to perform in fairly similar ways. I understand that in some cases, vendors like to be different (HP-UX and df, for example, or the entire GNU suite compared with AT&T or BSD UNIXes). In that respect, I expect ps to behave more or less the same across environments. I should not have to "know" in advance when I jump to a different platform excatly what the officially accepted replacement is to do a particular task.

Sure, I can alias a command; I've done so many times. However the point you missed in your arrogant dismisal was not my particular memory, UNIX skills, etc., or those of an entire group of users. The point is that if Cygwin differs on a core command from standard UNIX procedure and has another command designed to accomplish the same functionality but not part of the generally known set of core UNIX tools, then maybe Cygwin should change to conform to the known and accepted standards of doing things.

Regards,

William Sutton