Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] [1.7] Updated: cygwin-1.7.0-47

Ken Brown wrote:
>> This -47 release is accompanied by a new setup-1.7.exe installer,
>> version number is 2.617.
>>
>> This new installer adds the capability to search for package names in a
>> search field, top-left in the package selection window.
>
> There's one potential pitfall for people who like to use the partial
> view to see which packages are being updated before they proceed with
> the installation.  Suppose you use the search field to find a package
> you want to install.  If you then go to the partial view, you have to
> remember to clear the search box in order to see all the packages that
> are being installed.

  Well, yes.  Suppose you use the search field anywhere, with or without
changing view, and don't clear it?  Then you have to remember to clear it in
order to see all the files.

  I'm not sure it would be nice to auto clear the search box automatically on
changing modes; people might not want to have their filter zapped, and
clicking on the view button only *clearly* indicates the user's intent to
change the view, it would be false reasoning to attempt to infer what they
want done to the filter from that action.

  Maybe it would suffice if we put some kind of visual indication in the
chooser that there were excluded packages?  Say we added a dummy entry at the
end of the list that couldn't be clicked on and that just said

    [ ... more packages filtered out by search string ... ]

in italics or something like that?

    cheers,
      DaveK