Re: Windows Share Folder Problem

Neeraj Sahu wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am new to the cygwin mailing list. This is my first email to the
> community. I am going to present the seminar on Cygwin in my
> organization.In that seminar I want to show you can access windows
> shared folder of any PC from Cygwin. To demonstrate that I have tried
> to mount that windows shared folder in cygwin but it didn't work. When
> I have searched in google for it. I came to know that i need to
> install "samba" on cygwin.
>
> But I don't know how to install samba on cygwin. Or is there any other
> way using which I can access windows folder using cygwin ?
>
> Could you please help me out to resolve the issue ?
There's no need to install Samba in Cygwin. In fact I don't think
there's even a Samba package. A few concepts to understand...

Windows Networking or the way that Windows shares filesystems over the
network is through the SMB or Server Message Block
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Message_Block> protocol. When you
are on Windows and you mount a remote share to a drive letter you are
using SMB.

Samba <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samba_%28software%29> is "... a free
software <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_software> re-implementation
of SMB/CIFS <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Message_Block>
networking <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_networking> protocol
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Protocol_%28computing%29>, originally
developed by Australian Andrew Tridgell
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Tridgell>". IOW Samba is the
Unix/Linux equivalent of "playing Windows (SMB) networking".

Cygwin's already running on Windows so there's really no need to
implement SMB - it's already there!

And there's no really need to "mount" things really either - nor a need
to take up a drive letter in order to access remote filesystems in
Windows domains. So, in order to see the contents of the file named foo
on the server myserver and share myshare you need only do:

$ more //myserver/myshare/foo

This does not mean that you can't access it through a drive letter, if
you feel the need to mount it, you can do:

$ net use X: \\\\myserver\\myshare
$ more /cygdrive/x/foo # or
$ more x:/foo

Note the doubling of backslashes because bash uses backslash as an
escape character.
--
Andrew DeFaria <http://defaria.com>
If all the world is a stage, where is the audience sitting?