RE: Cygwin 1.7.0 2009-05-18 snapshot text mounts

> Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 20:44:47 -0400
> From: cgf
> Subject: Re: Cygwin 1.7.0 2009-05-18 snapshot text mounts

>>>OK I reread...I'm not sure what you wanted me to see. I am creating a cygdrive entry in my fstab and it is being accepted, it just doesn't seem to honor the text attribute.
>>
>>I guess I was assuming that since you're essentially conflating / with
>>cygdrive you might have to either mount / as text and override it or use
>>the override option for the cygdrive entry too but, on reflection, that
>>shouldn't be the case.
>>
>>You're combining my two of my least favorite things: text mode and
>>overriding /cygdrive with / but I'll take a look nonetheless.
>
> I did find a bug in the recent handling of root but it doesn't appear
> to have any effect on this behavior.
>
> If I use echo to create files in /c with a /etc/fstab similar to the
> above, I get \r\n line endings. I'm sure Eric will correct me but I
> don't believe that cat can be used to convert from binary to text. vim
> also has a mode to create dos line endings.

I can confirm that the echo test produces dos line endings.

I thought cat would work, because the data is written to a new file.

I now see that vim is configured to default to unix endings in Cygwin, and dos endings in the native windows port.

Thanks,

Also, thanks for the fast turnaround with the snapshot last night.

...Karl