RE: file execute access with noacl mount with Cygwin-1.7.0 20090518 snapshot

> Subject: file execute access with noacl mount with Cygwin-1.7.0 20090518 snapshot
> Date: Wed, 20 May 2009 20:59:20 -0700
>

> Hi All...
>
> I just tried executing a file on my desktop as /c/Users/me/Desktop/file.exe in Vista Business SP1.
>
> The file would not tab complete in bash and an ls -al showed no execute access.
>
> Do I need to add the exec or cygexec explicitly, or should that be the default with noacl?
>
> Thanks,
>
> ...Karl

I'm ok with adding it explicitly, and perhaps that is cleaner in the long run with no hidden assumptions.

It is just that my file ended in .exe and the documentation says:

While normally the execute permission bits are used to evaluate executability, this is not possible on filesystems which don't support permissions at all (like FAT/FAT32), or if ACLs are ignored on filesystems supporting them (see the aforementioned acl mount option). In these cases, the following heuristic is used to evaluate if a file is executable: Files ending in certain extensions (.exe, .com, .bat, .btm, .cmd) are assumed to be executable.

So the current behavior is not what I expected.

Thanks,

...Karl