Re: 1.7.0-48: [BUG] Passing characters above 128 from bash command line

Alexey Borzenkov wrote:
On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 7:28 PM, Edward Lam <edward@sidefx.com> wrote:
PS. In case you haven't noticed, copyright.txt is not a long file. It
consists of a single byte, 0xA9.

Did you try utf-8 encoding copyright.txt? Perhaps your locale is utf-8 and the encoder fails.

How is one supposed to determine one's locale in cygwin? I do NOT have LANG, or any of the LC environment variables set. I even tried explicitly setting LANG=C and it still fails.

The problem does seem to stem from the new UTF-8 support in cygwin 1.7. However, I think something is going on here that is unexpected because trying something similar on Linux has no problems. To confirm that it was an UTF-8 related problem, let me repeat the steps slightly differently again. Here we assume that I've already got bug.exe compiled which simply prints out its arguments.

$ export LANG=C

$ ./bug arg1 "before `cat copyright.txt` after" arg3
0: E:\cygwin1.7\tmp\bug.exe
1: arg1
2: before

*Notice that argc is 3 when it should be 4!*

$ piconv -f iso-8859-1 -t utf8 < copyright.txt > fubar.txt

$ ./bug arg1 "before `cat fubar.txt` after" arg3
0: E:\cygwin1.7\tmp\bug.exe
1: arg1
2: before  after
3: arg3

*So now everything works because I converted the character into UTF-8.*

I think what this points to is some form of invalid source encoding of the command line argument when spawning NATIVE applications.

Here's what happens when I try to compile bug.c using cygwin's gcc:

$ gcc bug.c -o bug-gcc.exe

$ ./bug-gcc arg1 "before `cat copyright.txt` after" arg3
0: ./bug-gcc
1: arg1
2: before  after
3: arg3

So there seems to be some sort of special marshaling of the command line arguments that only works when spawning cygwin apps, but breaks when running under native apps.

Regards,
-Edward