Re: emacs -nw keypad, tpu-edt.el, and C-h

On 5/31/2009 5:13 AM, Andy Koppe wrote:
2009/5/30 Matt Wozniski:
On Debian, at least, the console sends ^H for Ctrl+Backspace and ^?
for Backspace; that is a pretty common convention among terminal
emulators that I've used. I vote against the ^_ suggestion; I for one
would be genuinely surprised by that.

Fair enough, but once you're over the surprise you might actually find it useful to tell Ctrl+Backspace from Ctrl+H. Also, having Ctrl+Backspace bring up the help in emacs is rather surprising too.

As I long-time emacs user, I have to say that I have never been tempted to type Ctrl-Backspace in emacs. But, as a result of this discussion, I just tried it in three different settings and got three different behaviors. (The three settings were: emacs under X, emacs in a Cygwin console with the latest snapshot installed, and emacs in mintty with the "Backspace sends ^?" option.) The third one was actually the most surprising to me, because ^_ is the "undo" command in emacs.

In view of this chaos, I think cgf did the right thing in deciding to leave Ctrl-Backspace alone. If a linux standard ever emerges, I think cygwin should follow it. But, from what people have said, it sounds like that hasn't happened yet.

Ken