Re: 1.5.25: RSH issue with Cygwin/Win2008

On May 31 22:31, Gokula Rangarajan wrote:
> Team,
>
> I am running windows Server Enterprise 2008, 64 bit. I have installed the latest version of Cygwin in the windows 2008 server. I have a bunch of RHEL5.x servers that needs to controlled from Windows 2008 server using RSH.  While I am aware that SSH is more secure than RSH, I have no other options. The benchmark software that we are using will work on rsh only.
>
> The issue is, from the windows server, using Cygwin, when I rsh to a remote RHEL5.3 server, the prompt is empty (as if it has done something or working fine) and unable to connect to remote server.

The problem is that the underlying rcmd(3) function, which is needed
for a rsh implementation, has been dropped from Windows Vista/2008.
Cygwin 1.7 has a replacement function, but on Cygwin 1.5.25 it's
not possible to run rsh on Vista or Server 2008.

Corinna

Red Hat