Re: weird feature

Vincent R. wrote:
On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 17:38:10 +0200, "Vincent R." <forumer@smartmobili.com>
wrote:
On Mon, 22 Jun 2009 17:15:18 +0200, "Vincent R."
<forumer@smartmobili.com>
wrote:
Hi,

I know that my question could be a bit astonishing but I am not afraid
ask it ;-)
I am trying to compile a software for symbian platform and originally
they
have released a SDK on windows linked with mingw and where you use a DOS terminal to compile.
They have designed some build system mixing mingw/perl/dos command
(yuk!)
but I don't want to follow their logic
and I wouldn't like to install mingw (last time I tried I had so many
issues I don't want to try again).

So my question is would it be possible for cygwin to understand path
like
that :

/myfolder/foo instead of /cygdrive/c/myfolder/foo

What I mean is it seems that their toolchain is considering /... as
DRIVELETTER_WHERE_ITS_INSTALLED/...

Would it be possible I don't know by declaring a env var to allow that
kind
of behavior ?

So we would be able to go to 'unix' folder (cd /usr) and to real windows
folders (cd /Windows).

Hum think there are mount options where I could find some happiness. Need
to read doc.

Actually my question is more about interoperability bewteen mingw and cygwin. For instance here is the working command line I am using :

arm-none-symbianelf-gcc -o conftest ...
c:/gynoid/sdks/symbian/Nokia_N97_SDK_v0.5/epoc32/release/armv5/urel/eexe.lib

If I replace c:/gynoid by /c/gynoid or even by /cygdrive/c/gynoid it
doesn't work because I suppose toolchain only
understand windows path c:/... :

arm-none-symbianelf-gcc -o conftest ...
/c/gynoid/sdks/symbian/Nokia_N97_SDK_v0.5/epoc32/release/armv5/urel/eexe.lib
arm-none-symbianelf-gcc.exe:
/c/cygdrive/gynoid/sdks/symbian/Nokia_N97_SDK_v0.5/epoc32/release/armv5/urel/eexe.lib:
No such file or directory

arm-none-symbianelf-gcc -o conftest ...
/cygdrive/c/gynoid/sdks/symbian/Nokia_N97_SDK_v0.5/epoc32/release/armv5/urel/eexe.lib
arm-none-symbianelf-gcc.exe:
/cygdrive/c/gynoid/sdks/symbian/Nokia_N97_SDK_v0.5/epoc32/release/armv5/urel/eexe.lib:
No such file or directory

Is it possible to make this toolchain works with cygwin path style ?

Not without compiling it with Cygwin, no. You do have alternatives:

  1. Install Cygwin to your C: drive rather than C:\cygwin (or, if  you
     know what you're doing, use 'mount' to manually achieve the same
     goal with your current installation).

  2. Use 'cygpath' to convert from DOS to Cygwin path forms and back as
     needed.  This can get tricky/cumbersome in some cases.

3. Use c:/ syntax.

The last option is not guaranteed to work but may be the easiest to
manage in the short-run.  The first option (or some variant) is probably
your best/most stable bet overall.

Holliston, MA 01746