Re: Slow/sluggish response ("system" task at 50%)

Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
Gene Smith wrote:
Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote, On 06/22/2009 08:08 PM:

There's also 1.7 - <http://cygwin.com/#beta-test>

1.7 seems to fix it. It now takes 34 seconds as compared to 14 minutes with cygwin-1.5. (But I suspect that a fresh install of 1.5 might produce similar or better results.)

At some point, 1.5 started getting slow for me. I don't know (yet) what caused it. I still have the conflict with winavr using 1.7 so I don't think that is it.

Someone on a list mention about "home directory" affecting cygwin speed. I do notice that on 1.7-beta $HOME is /home/smited (under c:\cygwin-1.7\). While on my 1.5 $HOME is /cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/smited. Somehow 1.5 points $HOME to the existing windows "home" while 1.7 points $HOME to a new and almost empty directory under c:\cygwin-1.7. Does this matter at all?

Depends on how much "cruft" has built up in your "Windows" home directory. While this does get pretty "trashy" IMO, I don't think the typical build-up of Windows junk there would seriously impact performance, unless this somehow became a network directory reference at some point. And I think if just pointing at the home directory Windows uses were a general issue, we'd hear allot more about it on this list. But I can't say for sure something in your case isn't causing the problem you were seeing. I suppose if you're real curious about it, you can try pointing your new 1.7 install to it and see if things revert to the nostalgic slow-boat that you've become accustomed to. ;-)

Since I don't have a "HOME" env var in windows, cygwin is getting the cygwin HOME from /etc/passwd. So I tried it both ways. With 1.5 I set home to be the empty directory /home/smited (under c:/cygwin). It didn't make it any faster. With beta-1.7 I set home to /cygdrive/c/Documents and Settings/smited (where all the cruft is) and it didn't make it any slower. So where cygwin points $HOME at terminal startup does not seem to have an effect for me. Current version 1.5 is slow while beta-1.7 is fast, for still unknown reasons.