Re: setup-1.7.exe command line options

2009/6/23 Christopher Faylor:
> On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 04:13:39PM -0500, Thrall, Bryan wrote:
> >> Where can I find documentation on the setup-1.7.exe command line
> >> options, in particular the one for installing packages without
> >> invoking the GUI that I think was added last year?
> >>
> >> I had a look in all the places I could think of, but without success,
> >> and invoking setup with -h, -H, -help or --help does nothing.
> >
> >I guess you are using an older setup-1.7.exe; When I type 'setup-1.7.exe
> >-h', I get:
> >
> >$ setup-1.7.exe -h
> >Starting cygwin install, version 2.629
> >Current Directory: E:\My Downloads
> >
> >Command Line Options:
> > -D --download             ÂDownload from internet
> > -L --local-install           Install from local directory
> > -s --site               ÂDownload site
> > -R --root               ÂRoot installation directory
> > -P --packages             ÂSpecify packages to install
> >[snip]
> >
> >Older versions of setup just wrote this output to setup.log and
> >setup.log.full in the directory where setup was run, but now it writes
> >it to stdout, too :)
>
> Yep. ÂI added this functionality recently. ÂIt may not work when dumping
> to the console since it relies on a Windows function call which isn't
> availabe on older versions of Windows. ÂBut this should work:
>
> setup-1.7 -h | cat
>
> (I recently got a cygwin crash doing something like this on Windows NT4.
> I plan to debug that crash this weekend)
>
> Also, running it from mintty or with CYGWIN=tty should work as well.

I had actually downloaded the latest setup-1.7.exe, but I must have
invoked the wrong one when I tried it. D'oh.

The -P option is working nicely, especially when combined with -q for
unattended install. Throw 'cygcheck -p' into the mix, and this should
keep the apt-getters happy. Thanks to everyone involved!

Andy