Re: Problem with mintty-0.4.1-1 and orpie

2009/6/25 Mark Harig:
> > (TERM=xterm by default for me. I have no idea where that comes from.)
>
> This is documented in the manual page for 'mintty':
>
>> TERM variable
>> The TERM variable for the child process is set to "xterm", so that proâ
>> grams that pay attention to it expect xterm keycodes and output xtermâ
>> compatible control sequences.
>
> There is no documented way in mintty to change the TERM environment before
> the shell is started.

There's a bit in the TIPS section of the manual on how to set any
environment variable using the shell's -c option, e.g.:

mintty sh -c "TERM=xterm-256color emacs"

> It may turn out to be necessary (some day?) for mintty to
> provide some method for the shell to know whether it is running in a mintty
> terminal or an xterm terminal.

There is, but it hasn't made it into the terminal yet. From the 0.4.0
release announcement:

- MinTTY now has its own identity, instead of pretending to be an old
xterm. The ^E answerback string is "mintty", the ^[[c primary device
attribute command reports a vt100, and the ^[[>c secondary DA command
reports terminal type 77 (ASCII 'M') and version 400. The TERM
variable remains set to "xterm" though, to avoid termcap/terminfo trouble

Andy