gvim crashes immediately

Hi all... the subject line pretty much says it all.  I've installed Cygwin
and Cygwin/X.  The X server appears to work correctly.  XTerm runs fine.
All the command-line apps work great.  When I launch gvim, it spins for a
moment and then crashes with an access violation.  Nothing is written to the
console.  I've tried reinstalling vim and gvim.  I've tried text-mode mount
points and bin-mode mount points.  I've tried running it with -V and there
is nothing of note in the output... it just loads a bunch of files.  It
fails right after it doesn't find FindHelp.bmp (I believe it is normal for
it not to find these bitmaps, based on googling).  Running it through strace
was similarly unilluminating.  I'm hoping someone has seen this issue before
and can point me in the right direction.

My system is Windows Server 2k8 32 bit.  My user is an administrator.  I'm
running in a qemu-kvm virtual machine on top of a Fedora 10 linux host.  I
don't think that matters though, since one of the nice features of the
hardware virtualization is the guest doesn't know it's not running on real
hardware.  It's got 2.5gb of RAM, 4 processors...  I don't know what other
details might be useful to the community in helping me to resolve this, so
don't hesitate to ask me for more info.  Thank you very much for any help
you can provide.