Re: gvim crashes immediately

Yanroy wrote:
Hi all... the subject line pretty much says it all. I've installed Cygwin
and Cygwin/X. The X server appears to work correctly. XTerm runs fine. All the command-line apps work great. When I launch gvim, it spins for a
moment and then crashes with an access violation.
---
Any reason not to run the Win32-Gvim native client? It knows
about the win environment, you can use the same .vimrc and .vim dirs --
just hard link the .vimrc to _vimrc and use linkd (dunno about recent,
but was in the Win2000,XP,2003 Resource Kits -- they are usually able to
be downloaded for free) to link vimfiles & .vim (syntax is backward of ln, so linkd newname existingdir).
The native version understands using "/" as a path separator
and if a file already has unix-line endings, it keeps them (new files
use CRLF by default, though there's probably some setting...).
Unless you are attached to the X version -- and using the native version, of course, does nothing to uncover why the
X version is crashing....

	But if your desire is simply to use Graphical VIM, it should
be transparent, unless you have cygwin installed someplace other than
the root directory, then to edit files below your cygwin root you'll have
to prepend your chosen cygwin prefix.

At one point, I had links setup to have the native and linux versions using the same "VIMRUNTIME" dir, but when versions got out
of sync, I had to split them.

	If you put your cygwin at root, it is convenient to
move your WIN-home dirs to /home (instead of documents & settings) -- also
"Prog" instead of "Program Files", but if you don't like messing with
the registry you can probably get the same effect using "linkd" mentioned
above.   Note, linkd can confuse 'find' if you create circular directory
chains...