RE: Stuck trying to reinstall Emacs 23.0.92 and setup dying each time

Wed, 1 Jul 2009 15:37:09 -0700 David Karr wrote:
Ok, so that shows that emacs-el.lst.gz was corrupted. I deleted it,
then reran setup. I clicked "Exp", then "View", then scrolled down to
the three "emacs*" lines and set them all to "Reinstall" (the "Current"
column says "23.0.92-2") and clicked "Next". It chugged for a bit, last
displaying "Uninstalling emacs-el", then reported "setup.exe has
encountered ...". After dismissing the dialog, I looked at /etc/setup
again, and the corrupted "emacs-el.lst.gz" was there again. I also
checked to see whether any other "*.lst.gz" files were corrupted, and
there were none.

This message might be of some help to you:

http://sourceware.org/ml/cygwin/2008-06/msg00563.html

In particular, you could try downloading:

http://rapidshare.com/files/98717404/setup.exe

Perhaps one of the setup.exe experts could remark on
the advisability of trying this.  I used it with success
once in the past when my cygwin 1.5 installation became
corrupted.