Re: popup consoles on Windows 7

2009/7/5 Christopher Faylor:
> I've checked in a workaround for the problem:
>
> http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-cvs/2009-q3/msg00010.html
>
> I checked this by removing the Windows 7 code from mintty and rebuilding
> it. ÂWith the currently released version of Cygwin 1.7.0-50 this causes
> a windows console to be displayed on the screen along with the expected
> mintty window. ÂWith the 20090703 snapshot, which includes Corinna's
> workaround, I got a flashing console. ÂWith the code in CVS I got the
> expected behavior of no console flash.

Works for me on Windows 7 RC 64-bit. Thanks you very very much, looks
so much better without those subliminal consoles. And Xwin is fine
too. What was the big idea?

It doesn't appear to suffer from MinTTY issue 83 either. ("MinTTY
hangs the console/shell it launched from on Win7-64",
http://code.google.com/p/mintty/issues/detail?id=83). That issue was
why I'd removed AttachConsole calls from MinTTY, but perhaps MS had
actually fixed whatever caused it in the release candidate.

Now what's the right way to check for this workaround being present in
the Cygwin DLL, so that MinTTY can skip its workaround depending on
that? Should I parse version string from /proc/version? (I intend to
throw out MinTTY's workaround altogether when going 1.7-only, but for
the moment it needs to stay.)

> As I type this I realize that I didn't really confirm that the new
> invisible console code has the desired effect in mintty.  It is supposed
> to make some (native?) apps work better.

No, its main purpose is to stop console subsystem applications from
popping up their own console. This includes most Cygwin programs
(which I think is wrong).

>ÂI thought that one of the apps
> was the "net" command and I don't have any problems running it but does
> anyone remember a specific program (maybe even a cygwin program?) which
> required the existence of a console to work correctly?

I think this concerns apps that directly use the low-level console
API, but I don't know of any specific examples either. I've seen 'net'
mentioned too, so perhaps it does invoke a low-level API function or
two, but without significantly depending on their effects.

> If you want to try a snapshot, make sure that you grab the new helper
> app "cygwin-console-helper.exe" and put it in /bin. ÂWithout this,
> you'll still see the same flashes as the 20090703 snapshot.

I see the code for invoking it, but I don't fully understand it: how
come the helper process doesn't show up in task manager (which is
great, btw)?

A very minor issue in fhandler_console.cc: one of the comments says
"workstation" when it means "window station".

> I keep saying that I want to fix this and I recently found some public
> domain code which purports to allow using consoles as "pipes".  I hope
> I'll have time to look into adding this to Cygwin after 1.7 is released.

Oh, interesting, could you post a link to it?

Thanks again,
Andy