Re: .#* lock files under X, for files I edit???

Marc Girod wrote:

> Thanks. I'll try that.

That was: 'CYGWIN=winsymlinks tty'
The result is not fully satisfying.
E.g.:

  lrwxrwxrwx  1 emagiro EEI-ATusers    45 Jul 14 11:57 .#common.mk ->
emagiro@EV0016D4A35054.eemea.ericsson.se.4708

in a dired buffer, and which I cannot remove:

makesystem> rm -f .\#*
rm: cannot remove `.#common.mk': Permission denied

The process is still running indeed, but the lock/link doesn't
go away when I kill the buffer, or even exit emacs, as shown
with this one (elsewhere):

bin> ls -la .#select_config.pl
lrwxrwxrwx 1 emagiro EEI-ATusers 45 Jun 26 16:09 .#select_config.pl ->
emagiro@EV0016D4A35054.eemea.ericsson.se.4620

This process has gone long ago!
The reason is the same I guess as the one for which I cannot
remove the link from the command line, and has to do either
with the fact the file system is CIFS mounted from a NetApp
filer, or with the fact this is not its real name.
I can access this filesystem from unix as well, and there, it
looks different, and I can remove it:

makesystem> ll .\#*
-r-xr-xr-x   1 emagiro  at1          299 Jul 14 11:57 .#common.mk.lnk
makesystem> rm -f .\#*
makesystem> ll .\#*
.#*: No such file or directory

Gone now from the cygwin view as well.
But I understand this is the *old* symlink implementation,
as a file with a funny name, instead of as a reall sym link,
incurring the performance penalties, etc.

So, my next move now will be to set a find-file-hook to
check whether I am in a ClearCase view, and if so, to
make purify_flag buffer-local and set it to t.

I'll report my results...

Marc