Re: .#* lock files under X, for files I edit???

Eric Blake wrote:

>>	(set (make-local-variable 'purify_flag) t))))
>
> Setting purify-flag wasn't working for me (emacs gave a message
> about an assertion failure).

Huh? Nothing like that here.
In fact, it works...
Wait:
- I still have the 'CYGWIN=winsymlinks' setting --although unsetting it
doesn't affect
- there was this typo on purify_flag --but I assume you saw it: dash, not
underscore

Eric Blake wrote:

> Rather, it seems that the REAL problem is that cygwin1.dll cannot
> recognize attempts to create symlinks on the clearcase MVFS file system.

OK.
However, it is and was able to create something.
My problem has been that it wasn't able to remove them.

Eric Blake wrote:

> Maybe we should be trying to change cygwin to cause
> symlink() to fail with a proper errno on MVFS, and then
> revisit the emacs side of the equation to see how emacs
> handles failure to create a symlink when errno is ENOSYS
> (or whatever errno cygwin uses).  Or maybe it is just
> a matter of detecting that if the file system does not
> support DOS attributes (which are essential in creating
> new-style symlinks), that an old-style symlink must be
> created on that filesystem.

OK again. Now you are already much deeper than I ever
was in the causes.
The MVFS doesn't support DOS attributes?
I have no clue about that.
How may I check this? Interesting...

makesystem> type volinfo
bash: type: volinfo: not found
makesystem> cygcheck -p volinfo
Found 0 matches for volinfo.
makesystem> df -T .
Filesystem    Type   1K-blocks      Used Available Use% Mounted on
X:         unknown    81920000  30720000  51200000  38% /cygdrive/x

Note: I am one version behind with cygwin: 1.7.0-50

makesystem> touch foo
makesystem> ln -s foo bar
makesystem> readlink bar || echo $?
foo
makesystem> file bar
bar: symbolic link to `foo'
makesystem> ll bar
lrwxrwxrwx 1 emagiro EEI-ATusers 3 Jul 15 18:56 bar -> foo
makesystem> rm bar
rm: cannot remove `bar': Permission denied
makesystem> ct pwv
Working directory view: emagiro_86
Set view: emagiro_86
makesystem> export CYGWIN=tty
makesystem> ln -s foo zoo
makesystem> readlink zoo || echo $?
1
makesystem> ll zoo
-rw-r--r-- 1 emagiro EEI-ATusers 20 Jul 15 18:58 zoo
makesystem> file zoo
zoo: data
makesystem> od -c zoo
0000000   !   <   s   y   m   l   i   n   k   > 377 376   f  \0   o  \0
0000020   o  \0  \0  \0
0000024
makesystem> rm zoo
makesystem>

I confirm that my find-file-hook works.
I didn't want to restart my emacs, but I tried with:

(setenv "CYGWIN" "tty")
"tty"

in the *scratch* buffer, and opening an existing checked-out file.
No lock created.

Marc