Re: FAQ question regarding tcl/tk and paths

Shaddy Baddah wrote:
Hi,

So, from the Cygwin FAQ:

<snip>
*4.45.* Why doesn't Cygwin tcl/tk understand Cygwin paths?

The versions of Tcl/Tk distributed with Cygwin (e.g. cygtclsh80.exe,
cygwish80.exe) are not actually "Cygwin versions" of those tools. They
are built with the |-mno-cygwin| option to |gcc|, which means they do
not understand Cygwin mounts or symbolic links.

See the entry "How do I convert between Windows and UNIX paths?"
elsewhere in this FAQ.
</snip>

Fine, I appreciate that. But the question I have is why? My searches
through the mailing list archives have been fruitless.

<http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#WJM>?  No?  Dang!  I've been looking for an
appropriate place to use that phrase.  I'll keep trying. ;-)

You might have more luck looking in the context of 'insight'.  'insight'
comes with the 'gdb' package but is built for Windows rather than relying
on X.  So the packaged version of Tcl/Tk is the one used for 'insight',
nothing more, nothing less.

Holliston, MA 01746