RE: ntfsclone for cygwin 1.7 (issues pointing to shadow copies)

I was able to get ntfsprogs to compile under cygwin 1.7 after some troubleshooting.  I tried to get ntfsclone to point to the //?/GLOBALROOT for a shadow copy.  I know dd can do this.  ntfsclone doesn't appear to be aware of these devices and there are no /dev/sd?? associated with them either.  The shadow copy can easily be exposed as a drive under Windows using vshadow.  Ntfsclone is reporting this drive as being mounted rw when in fact it is ro (shadow copies exposed as drives can only be read-only).  I don't see an option under mount in 1.7 to manually create a mount point read-only?

When I do mount the shadow copy it cannot access the global device.  mount reports the following:

D:OBALROOT/Device/HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy127 on /mnt/temp type unknown (binary,posix=0,user)

After entering the following command:

mount -o binary,posix=0,user,auto //?/GLOBALROOT/Device/HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy126 /mnt/temp

I'm not sure why the result from the mount command shows it as "D:OB".  I've tried quoting the device in the command line to see if it was interpreting the ? incorrectly.

I'm assuming that the open statement in ntfsclone needs to be modified?  Anyone have suggestions on how to get ntfsclone to understand something like \\?\GLOBALROOT\Device\HarddiskVolumeShadowCopy126?  What change was made to dd to allow it to see these shadow copies as devices?

Rob
------------------- original note

Does anyone know of an ntfsclone package that works under 1.7?  I tried compiling 2.0 from sourceforge.  I didn't get any errors from ./configure, make, or make install but the executable doesn't return anything when I run it.  ntfsclone --help doesn't return anything either.

I've been using dd with volume shadow copies to capture partitions (very cool direct reference of //?/GLOBALROOT devices!).  I'd prefer to use ntfsclone for speed.

Rob