Re: 1.7.0-51: Problem using ssh public/private key authentication

Michael H. wrote:

[snip]
> The steps to reproduce have been done directly after installing Cygwin
> without any modifications. The logfile /var/log/sshd.log is empty even after
> the error has been printed on the Linux machine from which I connected to
> the Windows / Cygwin machine.

The "system log" the manual refers to is not the one you are looking at,
its /var/log/messages and is only active if you installed and use syslog
(I prefer syslog-ng).

> I executed the commands
>
> $ cygrunsrv -E sshd
> $ /usr/sbin/sshd -ddde

And there you are creating the problem... or another problem: the
service runs as a special user, when you run it yourself its running as
your user so, if it works, that means you have permissions set to run as
your user not the service user.  Did that made sense? or I managed to
make something simple into some obscure fact.

The usual fix for what I described is to run the service installation
again, it should complain about the permissions so you can fix them.
--
Renà Berber