Re: ntfsclone for cygwin 1.7 (issues pointing to shadow copies)

> /proc/partitions is populated, but only with actual disks. The device
> mapping for disks is a mapping from the internal NT namespace objects
> \Device\HarddiskX\PartitionY to the POSIX-like /dev/sdXY. Since shadow copies
> of a disk don't match this mapping, you're out of luck. Maybe we can add a
> mapping in a later Cygwin release and I added it to my TODO list, but this is
> definitely no fodder for 1.7.1.

I think it would be a good TODO item and I certainly understand why it won't make 1.7.1. I think it would be a great addition to have cygwin have a general approach/utility to add shadow copies as POSIX-like devices (/dev/sdXY).

I found a different open source utility that does what I need (I think). I'm trying to verify the image is similar to that of ntfsclone which is a block-level image. Just an FYI in case someone else is trying to accomplish the same task.

http://odin-win.sourceforge.net/

Thanks for the replies and clarification.

Rob