Correct way to configure a Cygwin toolchain on Linux?

Hello. I've been searching through Google, reading everything I can
and rigorously searched through the mailing lists for information
about setting up a toolchain for Cygwin on Linux.

In http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2008-04/msg00138.html, Brian Dessent says:
"For $deity's sake just use a sysroot; the Cygwin binary package
conveniently provides everything necessary in one simple wget-able
tarball that unpacks to the perfect directory structure.  There's even
a step by step tutorial on the website."

I have not been able to find said step by step tutorial on the
website, however I did download the
http://cygwin.com/snapshots/cygwin-inst-20090724.tar.bz2, which I
assume is the binary tarball being discussed. I installed w32api into
the sysroot as discussed further in that thread I linked to, and
libiconv.

I've attempted to compile cygwin-src-20090724.tar.bz2 but that failed.
I had used --host=i686-pc-linux --target=i686-pc-cygwin.

Would I be able to get definitive instructions on setting up a
successful Cygwin toolchain?

Thanks,
Brendan