Re: [1.7] cygwin allows writing to readonly files

On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 5:25 PM, Corinna
Vinschen<corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:
> That's a bug in your testsuite. ÂI assume you're running the tests as
> administrator, right? ÂAdministrators have the right to write to all
> files, even R/O files, according to POSIX rules. ÂYour test would fail
> on Linux as well, if you're running it as root.

Well, it's not my testsuite, but yes, I'm running under administrator
account. But it makes me wonder, how does it work? Do you change ACLs
temporarily?

Anyway, it means there is a bug in perl, because on Linux:

root@kitsu:~# touch test.txt
root@kitsu:~# chmod 0444 test.txt
root@kitsu:~# perl -e 'print "writable\n" if -w "test.txt"'
writable

On Cygwin 1.7 perl thinks that the file is not writable.