Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: run-1.1.11-1

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

> I just tested this further.  If you omit the CREATE_NO_WINDOW flag
> to CreateProcess, the console window still flickers when starting
> urxvt, but the CPU usage does not stick to 100%.  Since XWin and
> xterm are apparently unaffected by this (no flickering cmd window)
> it looks like that's the better interim solution.
>
> Sorry about that.  The CREATE_NO_WINDOW flag looked like a good idea
> at the time(*)

Yeah.  I think the core issue is that run takes care to hook up stdin &
friends to the child process, but that something is going wrong in that
process when CREATE_NO_WINDOW -- and, for whatever reason, urxvt[d]-X
needs that (maybe also Ken Brown's bat -> bash -> emacs).

Anyway, I don't really want to delve into urxvt-7.7 right now and its
interaction with run+CREATE_NO_WINDOW. After cygwin-1.7 is released,
I'll start looking at (a) removing the unicode "shims" from
cygwin-urxvt, (b) switching to urxvt-9.x (c) compiling it to use
cygwin-1.7's unicode support.  That is, I don't want to invest too much
time in a dead-end version of urxvt (7.7).

As far as run itself is concerned, I'm (currently) happy to relegate any
problems to a W7 ghetto, until more people (including me) have access to
it and can worry those issues.

So, given a a /good-enough/ workaround for run+urxvt-7.7+W7, I don't
think you (Corinna) need to waste any more time on it now.

Tnanks,
Chuck