Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: run-1.1.11-1

Corinna Vinschen wrote:

>> Do you think this idea is worth pursuing?
>
> Sounds like a good idea to me.  I'm just wondering, is there really
> no easy Win32 function to fetch this information, along the lines
> of the GetBinaryType function?

Well, there's SHGetFileInfo with the SHGFI_EXETYPE flag, but it doesn't
do exactly what we'd want. It returns

0
	Nonexecutable file or an error condition.

LOWORD = NE or PE and HIWORD = Windows version
	Microsoft Windows application.

LOWORD = MZ and HIWORD = 0
	Windows 95, Windows 98:
		Microsoft MS-DOS .exe, .com, or .bat file

	Microsoft Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP:
		MS-DOS .exe or .com file

LOWORD = PE and HIWORD = 0
	Windows 95, Windows 98:
		Microsoft Win32 console application

	Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP:
		Win32 console application or .bat file

I guess the only case that means "Windows GUI" is NE|PE,0 -- everything
else is "Windows CUI" or other, and we'd want to employ run's
console-hiding code for those other cases.

I'd need to use explicitly the *W version on cyg-1.7 -- but I'm not
ready to audit the entire program for long-path compliance yet (I'll do
that after forking the codebase for 1.7 as "run-1.2.x", and refactoring
a bit).

I'll think about it some more. Using stdio to access the innards of the
file isn't that hard, and lets me rely on cygwin to handle long path
name issues -- but means that the mingw version won't be LFN compliant.

--
Chuck