RE: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: run-1.1.11-1

Robin Walker wrote:
" --On 17 August 2009 15:57 +0200 Corinna Vinschen wrote:
" > The [...] as well as your startxwin.bat script don't work on W7.
" On any NT-class Windows, calling a *.bat file causes a 16-bit sub-system to
" be spawned, and the .bat file is interpreted within the 16-bit command
" interpreter.
"
" Given that Cygwin 1.7 no longer supports Windows 9x systems, it would
" probably make sense to convert as many .bat files as possible to .cmd
" files, so that they run within the normal 32-bit command interpreter.
"
" Does the startxwin.bat script work when it is renamed startxwin.cmd ?

This is certainly an interesting question, but I'm not sure I believe the
preceding claim.  In my main environment (shared by a few thousand other
users) we've gotten (for all the usual historical reasons) to a place
where we live in a cmd.exe world, yet most of our batch scripts have a
.bat extension.  We use NT-class Windows.  I have never seen the 16-bit
subsystem invoked here.  Other groups prefer the .cmd extension, but
I have, in many years, not seen a technical difference.

stephan(speaking for myself only, not my employer);