Re: 256 color terminal in basic (non-"X Windows") Cygwin

2009/8/25 Gwen Morse:
> I use a game client called Tinyfugue that can make use of ANSI 256 color codes.
>
> I've been running in mental circles trying to find (or patch and
> compile) a terminal that will support 256 under regular cygwin. I
> can't use XWindows because I often run my client off a USB stick and
> I'm limited to what I can carry on it (basically the bare minimum of
> dlls hand-copied to get the app running).
>
> I started out trying to use Putty for Cygwin. After reading the
> minimal documentation I ended up stalled because I couldn't find
> directions on how to use it to call another program via the command
> line. Maybe I just missed them.
>
> Then, I tried using rxvt. This runs nicely off my usb stick, however,
> it doesn't come with 256 color support compiled in. I downloaded the
> source files through the Cygwin setup program, applied the 256 color
> patch (I think) and rebuilt it. I tried using both "-tn
> xterm-256color" and "-tn rxvt-256color" options. Neither gives me 256
> colors when I use the built-in testcolor call. In fact, I don't even
> get 16 colors. I get the 8 basic colors but the "bright" options are
> disabled. But, it is very nice to have a working terminal and I'll
> stick with it for now.
>
> I tried looking into xterm, but, it supposedly needs XWindows, so, I'm
> not even bothering to test it.
>
> What I need: a terminal program that can be built to run under cygwin
> that supports 265 colors and where that feature actually _works_. If
> it has any config files it needs, there needs to be a command-line (or
> batch file parameter setting) that will let me tell it where to find
> the file on my usb stick. It can't need Xwindows to run. If it needs
> to be built from source I can do it myself.
>
> If rxvt "should" work properly once the patch is applied, I would
> appreciate help to figure out where that patching went wrong.
>
> Really, any help on this would be appreciated.

rxvt does support 256 colours, although you probably need to set the
TERM variable to rxvt-256color to let your app know about it. This
should do the job:

$ rxvt -tn rxvt-256color -e game

An alternative is mintty. Invoke it like this to set the TERM variable
appropriately:

$ mintty env TERM=xterm-256color game

Andy