ssh and sftp connects intermittently

I use ssh from a dos box on windows to connect to other machines,
It works fine right after I log into windows. After a while, it doesn't work reliably.

I type something like 'sftp example.com
I get a response 'Connecting to example.com...'
About 1 time in 10, I get the next line which is 'Password:'

This problem has been going on for at least a year, and is not specific to a
specific release of cygwin. The site 'example.com' is pingable, and all other
internet access works reliably. I would like to help debug this problem in any
way I can, to help resolve it.

Any ideas?

thanks,
jeff