ln -s symlink question

Hi folks,
I'm adding support for hidden and system attributes to Wine
to support cygwin's symlinks.   The following questions
are not wine-related; I'm doing my testing on vista.

If I look at /bin/vi with both dir in cmd and ls -l in cygwin, I see
that it's a non-.lnk symlink, i.e. dir shows it as an 18 byte
system file, and ls -l shows it as a symlink.

But I can't seem to create that style of symlink with ln -s.
If I do
  ln -s a b
and then in cmd do
  dir b*
I see a 333 byte non-system file named b.lnk.

What's going on?  How can I create the other style of symlink
with ln -s?

Thanks,
Dan