Re: cygwin Digest 10 Sep 2009 16:45:51 -0000 Issue 6623

However, since presumably you're using a Thai version of Windows, you
might have more success with trying different fonts.
Actually I'm using a normal version of windows. I've never seen anyone use a Thai version...perhaps it's not available.
If not, you should try the 'mintty' terminal instead of the standard
Cygwin console. This definitely does support Thai characters and is
able to use a greater range of fonts than the console.

The stable version 0.4.4 can be installed through Cygwin's setup.exe,
but version 0.5 makes it much easier to set up the locale and
character set. Choose them on the 'Text' pane of its options dialog,
and the LANG variable will be set accordingly. Mintty 0.5-beta2 is
available from http://mintty.googlecode.com.
That's done the trick, and was very easy and user-friendly. I can even type in Thai! Good idea to add /bin to the windows Path variable; I hadn't thought of that. I love the transparency too!

Thanks so much for your help.