Re: cygdrive prefix

* Andy Koppe (Wed, 16 Sep 2009 22:06:45 +0100)
> 2009/9/16 Thorsten Kampe
> > you shouldn't install Cygwin
> > directly to C:\ (but to C:\cygwin): so you don't have the Cygwin and the
> > Windows root folder structure mixed.
>
> And where exactly is the harm in that? Apple certainly don't see a
> problem with it, with the likes of /Applications and /Users living
> happily alongside /bin and /var. Actually it makes for a much more
> integrated Cygwin user experience not to have to mentally switch
> between different roots and add those \cygwin and /cygdrive (or
> whatever) prefixes when accessing stuff from the other side of the
> fence.

Apple /is/ Unix (BSD). In the case of Cygwin, Cygwin is not (part of)
Windows. Cygwin has its own root folder structure and Windows has its
own. If you don't mind having a Windows "Temp" folder and a Cygwin
"tmp" folder directly on C:\ then there is no harm.

Some people prefer keeping different things seperately. Like Cygwin
stuff in C:\cygwin and not in C:\. Like having a, b, c, d, e, under
/cygdrive and not under /. A matter of preference and definitely my
preference.

Of course it's less "integrated" but Cygwin itself is not integrated
into Windows that much. It doesn't use the user's temp folder. It
doesn't use the OS' application folder. It doesn't use the user's
profile folder as $HOME, etc.

Thorsten