Re: The C locale

* Lapo Luchini (Wed, 23 Sep 2009 12:48:03 +0200)
> Thorsten Kampe wrote:
> >> I created a file "aÃâ?.txt" in WinExplorer, and then:
> >>
> >> 23/09/2009  06.58                 0 aÃ??.txt
> >>                1 File(s)              0 bytes
> >
> > Works for me, too. Maybe not only the codepage but also the GUI locale
> > settings are involved. This is on Windows 7.
>
> Oh, that's interesting, it may be they improved the console in Win7?
> Did you see only the euro or also the Japanese character?

The Japanese character displayed as a question mark in my newsreader -
so I had to skip that character when creating a file.

> Uh, nope. I still get "aÃ??.txt" in my Win7 vitual machine... both with
> chcp 850 and 437. Did you do anything regarding the console settings?
> (not that it does seem to have any)

The only thing I changed was setting the console font to Dejavu Sans
Mono. I created a text file with Japanese characters from Wikipedia.
These displayed in Windows Explorer but not in Cmd.exe (empty squares -
but no question marks).

Thorsten