Re: non-BMP character width

2009/9/24 Thomas Wolff:
> I also tried to test eucJP, but that doesn't seem to work at all and mintty crashes...

Ouch. Details?

> The problem used to be in mintty as well until I pointed it out and
> Andy was so ambitious to find a workaround

Yep, given a font that actually supports them, e.g. SimSunExtB,
non-BMP chars should display correctly in mintty 0.5.

> - maybe he could supply a
> code snipplet which would fix this in the cygwin console too, despite
> the bug origin being in the Windows API...

'fraid not. Mintty uses the Win32 GUI function ExtTextOut to paint
characters in its window, and that function does support surrogates.
The Cygwin DLL uses WriteConsole, which apparently doesn't support
them, and only MS can change that.

Andy