Re: Num lines in dirs: C:\cygwin\bin = 1152 C:\cygwin-1.7\bin = 289 WHY SO FEW?

David Combs wrote:
I just now installed 1.7.

Where *is* everything?

bin has 289 files, whereas the non-beta has 1152.

So, just how "beta" is 1.7. "Alpha"?

Or am I missing something, eg there's still lots more
for me to install "by hand"?

Oh, someone tell me how to find the version number of a cygwin, and I can tell you what mine is. (Looks like the most recent files in bin are 15june09, so pretty darned recent, my "standard" cygwin.)

----

Oh, *roughly* when might 1.7 become the standard cygwin?  A year
or so?

Thanks!

David

I don't think you are doing anything wrong David. setup-1.7.exe appears to default to just the Base category packages. The 1.5 setup.exe selects many more packages outside the Base category by default and that's the difference you are seeing.

As an aside I like this current behaviour: I have bandwidth constraints and problems with packages interfering with each other and so find it handy to start with a small core Cygwin and add the stuff I need.

I don't know how to extract what the default packages are from the old setup.exe: I suspect it's all the Base category packages plus others from a list compiled into the binary though I'd be happy if someone could correct me on that.

I notice that setup-1.7.exe has a command line interface with an option to select packages to install. It doesn't appear to be working yet. I sure hope it is a future feature because it would be just the ticket for this issue: compile a list of packages you want to be in your default install and then you could reproduce it at will.

Cheers,
Chris.

Base packages for Cygwin 1.7
editrights