Re: Num lines in dirs: C:\cygwin\bin = 1152 C:\cygwin-1.7\bin = 289 WHY SO FEW?

On 09/29/2009 04:04 PM, smoore@exis.net wrote:
Chris Cormie (Cygwin) wrote:
Larry Hall (Cygwin) wrote:
On 09/28/2009 10:31 PM, Chris Cormie wrote:
I don't think you are doing anything wrong David. setup-1.7.exe appears
to default to just the Base category packages. The 1.5 setup.exe selects
many more packages outside the Base category by default and that's the
difference you are seeing.

There should be little difference in how 'setup.exe' works for 1.5 vs
1.7.
The determination for what's installed by default has not changed, though
the overall number of packages and size may have changed somewhat.

I wonder if the change to the X stuff if showing up here. Old install of X brought in pretty much everything but the new modular install is much more frugal. I never checked what happened to the old stuff when I updated to the new X in 1.5. I don't think it removed the already installed X stuff, so I'm thinking that an old 1.5 install (even upgraded) with X could show quite a few more files than a new 1.5 or 1.7 install with X.

If I understood the OP correctly, he only installed new and only whatever comes
by default. X is not part of the 'Base' category so it isn't installed by default.

Probably the easiest way to see the differences is the massage the cygcheck
outputs and simply diff the two.

Yup.

Holliston, MA 01746